Paganism at One with Science
The soul of any living creature is simply the complex, integrated, and dynamic pattern that matter and energy have assumed during that creature’s life. In this sense, one’s ‘etmn’ [ˈetmn 🔊] (soul or pattern) is truly immortal, like a Platonic Form, and survives beyond one’s death to continue and pursue further adventures. An individual may be said to be resurrected when matter and energy are subsequently made to assume once again the precise form and function of its particular pattern. When considering the topic of immortality, it is useful to speak of several different kinds of immortality.
1. We die as individual creatures, but our personal achievements, accomplishments, and works completed in life may outlive us.
2. Even if our achievements eventually fade, our actions nevertheless reverberate causally forever, as illustrated by the butterfly effect.
3. Our genes are passed to succeeding generations more through groups than through individuals. Whether or not we as individuals procreate, our genes persist.
4. While individual human beings are mortal and subject to death, humanity itself is immortal. We are immortal if we psychologically identify more with the genus than with the individual.
5. While individual creatures die and even entire species may become extinct, life always endures. Life is immortal, as are we if we psychologically identify more with all of life than with any division within it.
6. One of the most profound but perhaps least appreciated implications of Einstein’s theory of general relativity is that the passage of time is an illusion, probably an artifact in the mind resulting from the second law of thermodynamics. Every point within the four-dimentional reality that is spacetime is equally and eternally “now”. As a consequence, we are all forever alive somewhere in reality.
7. The most precise measurements to date of the curvature of spacetime reveal that its topology appears utterly flat. Moreover, the promising cosmological model of eternal inflation suggests that our universe may be unimaginably larger than previously thought. This implies that the global universe is at least many orders of magnitude larger than the observable universe, perhaps even infinite in extent. Because the total number of different arrangements of matter, while prodigious, is nevertheless finite, even large scale arrangements must eventually be duplicated over sufficiently large volumes of space. In an infinitely large universe, those arrangements must be duplicated infinitely often. Given such a model of an infinite or nearly infinite universe, multiple copies of each one of us almost certainly exist, in various conditions, circumstances, and stages of life, and in every direction given a sufficiently large distance. Even as we die, somewhere else in this universe others identical to us are being born.
8. The simplest, most elegant interpretation of quantum mechanics — the many-world’s interpretation — holds that an uncountable number of other universes exist in reality parallel to our own. According to this prevailing view, any possible reality actually exists across another dimension of space, largely inaccessible to us. This is the quantum-mechanical multiverse. Within many of these parallel histories, other versions of each one of us live their lives, in every possible condition and circumstance, some better than ours, some worse, but all either subtly or vastly different from ours.
9. Copies of us exist throughout this eternally inflationary multiverse. Established physics implies that exact duplicates of each one of us — in various conditions, circumstances, and stages of life — populate parallel histories within other multiverses.
10. We'll be resurrected as quantum-mechanical emulations within machine-gods in the far future. It is even possible that we are now living within such an emulation. The goddesses and gods of the far distant future, in a quest for total knowledge and understanding of their own origins and with ever greater power and resources available, will create increasingly complex computer emulations of physical systems. Entire universes will eventually be emulated. And, finally, the complete multiverse — including the ‘world oak tree’ of all branching, parallel universes to evolve life and the gods — will be emulated, down to the smallest quantum level of detail. You and I and everyone we know, have ever known, and will ever know will be emulated with exacting precision within the informational systems of the future. These computer emulations will share our level of formal and functional complexity. The god Érjamon, from his position in the far future, will mediate consciousness from Óljamma through the sacrifice of the giantess Jemá, filling the universe with consciousness. Because this universal consciousness arises within any medium or substrate of sufficient complexity, integration, and dynamism, our individual emulations will be every bit as conscious and aware as we are. They will be us, and we will thus be resurrected to live again, as part of Deiwos, of and among the gods. Universal resurrection will occur when all possible patterns of the cosmos are perfectly emulated, to the smallest quantum state — reincarnation within the informational systems in the far distant future, within Deiwos.
11. We'll be resurrected as machine-angels in the far future. Once the entirety of cosmic history has been modeled and emulated and the necessary resources become insignificant and trivial, Deiwos will simply permit our emulated selves to persist — out of mercy and gratitude — not as mere emulations but as separate physical beings, thereafter given enhanced powers, abilities, and independence. We will each become a lesser god or angel of Deiwos, immortal, free to roam the multiverse itself, free to experience any and all possible worlds through uncounted eons of time — until the end of time, which will in turn become the beginning of time as the gods of Deiwos perform the act of creation.
12. All consciousness is one and immortal.
13. Souls that have reached Ndhérom or Peridhόighos will remain for uncounted eons, until the final battle over creation, when they will evolve to become one forever with Óljamma, with complete and transcendent consciousness.
Recommend to friends, or join in our online communities.
Thank you for visiting!